Here’s a summary of how I have learnt about God’s grace.
1. God’s grace exemplifies the unconditional love of God. (Romans 5:8)
2. Grace is the unearned, undeserved, unmerited favour of God – it cannot be earned by your good works or behaviour. (Romans 11:6)
3. Grace superabounds where sin increases – sin cannot stop God’s grace in your life; instead God’s grace will superabound and swallow up sin and cause you to reign in life! (Romans 5:17-20)
4. Grace means no more condemnation from God because sin has been condemned in the flesh when God sent His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to take our place at the cross. (Romans 8:1-4)
The Root Cause of Your Problem is Condemnation
5. Grace produces true holiness because a holy life is a fruit (not the root) of believing the gospel of grace. Holiness is not produced by our own efforts or performance.
Will the Real Christianity Please Stand Up?
6. Grace can flow freely in our lives because Jesus has paid for our sins at the cross perfectly and God’s justice has been met completely – we simply receive God’s grace as a free gift by faith.
7. Grace is not a doctrine or a message – Grace is the Person of Jesus Christ (John 1:17), just as holiness is the Person of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 1:30) – when you have Jesus, you have holiness. Holiness is not something you do – it’s the Person you receive.
8. Grace is receiving freely the gift of righteousness of God by faith in Jesus – it is based on what Christ has done at the cross, not based on what we do or don’t do. (Romans 5:17)
Supernatural Transformation and Holiness
9. Grace empowers us to overcome sin (or bad habits), because right believing will lead to right living. “Sin shall have no dominion over you, because you are not under law (works-righteousness) but under grace (faith-righteousness) (Romans 6:14) When we believe that our true identity is that we are the righteousness of God in Christ, we will live and walk according to our identity.