And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!”
I asked a question recently in Yahoo Answers about Romans 10:15 “Why is the gospel also known as the gospel of peace?” I received a number of good answers from several people, and here’s summarising their contributions.
1. When Christ died on the cross, he fulfilled the Law’s requirements. Jesus Christ achieved the intended goal that would satisfy the Lord, and the need for the law to come to an end! Christ supercedes the Law, and this precious gift of righteousness does usher in Divine peace for all who accept the covering of Christ within. Our heart response is peace… a beautifying peace sweeps through us… and that is why… it is called the Gospel of peace brother, as the whole of a person responds…. a whole new commitment is made… making us put on the sandals of peace.
2. Because that’s what the Gospel is – the Good News, and it brings peace and tranquillity to to those who live by it.
3. Blessed are the peace-makers, for theirs is the kingdom of God. The Sermon on the Mount is the central teaching of Jesus.
4. “Peace be with you” and “do not be afraid” seem to be an important part of Jesus’ message.
5. “And having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace” (Ephesians 6: 15) He is The Word. He is peace and His teachings are peaceful. There is no devil who can stand at His name. Because the devil doesn’t like this “peace” of the gospel. The devil is not peaceful. And you can see that in Isaiah.
6. The word “gospel” means “good news”, so when we live in God’s king(ruler) dom(dominion), we are living in the spirit that brings peace….meaning the good news of peace.
7. Gospel (good news). Since Adam and Eve… We have all been running and hiding in the bushes. hiding from God’s impending judgement and so, separated from God. Since Jesus, peace with God is restored and as far as God is concerned, it’s as if we never left Eden, even though we still live in a fallen world. God considers us blameless and holy. Now if the devil were to accuse us of sin, God only has one answer for him…My son died for that.
8. Romans 10:15 is also known as the gospel of peace because it indicates that in order to share the GOSPEL OF CHRIST with others, this must be taken out into the entire world and shared with all humankind. CHRIST-LOVE is the GREAT HARMONIZER the UNIVERSAL SOLUTION.
9. That is what the Gospel is all about. Peace with God. We have the ability to become children of God and no longer be enemies with Him. Our sin put enmity between us and God, Jesus paid the price for our sins so we could once again have fellowship with the Father through the Son.
The last contribution neatly sums up the benefits of salvation. “Having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:1) When we believe the gospel of peace or the good news of Jesus Christ, we will know that God is on our side and He is our loving Abba Father who is always with us and He will never leave us nor forsake us. He has sworn in His covenant of peace that He will never be angry with us nor condemn us and we will be established in His righteousness and be far from oppression, for we shall not fear. (Isaiah 54) We will enjoy peace for our conscience and fellowship with God for time and eternity. Praise Jesus for what He has done to give us this wonderful gospel of peace! 🙂
[Contents updated on 4 September 2010]