I came across an interesting article “The Difference Between True Teaching and Data Transfers” and I like what it says here:
- Give you tools to interpret information
- Don’t force you to accept their views
- Help you to differentiate between opinion and fact
- Teach you to become a better learner
- Teach you to become your own teacher
Data Transfer People:
- Just give you information
- May expect you to accept everything wholesale
- Often don’t want to be challenged in their information or views
- Are married to the ideas of right and wrong
I’m using teachers broadly; it’s not just about spiritual teachers. And, in truth, anyone teaching something that they love–math, economics, art therapy–is already doing spiritual teaching of a certain order because there is love in their teaching. And of course, love is one of the greatest teachings of them all.
Yes, a good teacher would give tools to interpret instead of expecting people to follow their teachings without questioning their interpretations – and we have seen how those who subscribe to the christian religion have been mainly “data transfer people” (I used to be in that place myself). As I have learnt, at the end of the day, it is all about loving oneself and others, regardless of religion or belief system.