I like this post on “Ten commandments for reducing stress in your life” – it is a refreshing change from (and a light-hearted parody of) the stress-inducing ten commandments we see in the Bible.
1. Thou Shalt Not Be Perfect, Or Even Try To Be
2. Thou Shalt Not Try To Be All Things To All People.
3. Thou Shalt Sometimes Leave Things Undone That Ought To Be Done.
4. Thou Shalt Not Spread Thyself Too Thinly.
5. Thou Shalt Learn To Say No.
6. Thou Shalt Schedule Time For Thyself And Thy Supportive Network.
7. Thou Shalt Switch Off And Do Nothing Regularly.
8. Thou Shalt Be Boring, Untidy, Inelegant, and Unattractive At Times.
9. Thou Shalt Not Even Feel Guilty.
10. Especially, Thou Shalt Not Be Thine Own Worst Enemy But Be Thine Own Best Friend.
I like especially the first, seventh, ninth and tenth “commandments”. Yea, to learn to switch off and do nothing regularly is not only stress-relieving but also a very wise habit to cultivate in life, as it helps us to be recharged and re-prioritise what’s most important.